We live in a society where there’s a high rise of social injustice, police brutality, & gender inequality, & a lot of citizens and communities whose rights are either violated, or unfairly judged, lack the resources to seek legal redress.
As a result, our legal department tirelessly represents these persons and supports their legal needs – to achieve judgment and peace in their homes and communities.
Our legal interventions revolve around cases on housing, gender, land, health, etc, and include:
- Pastor Aworetan & 8 ORS VS. Inspector General of Police & 5 ORS. (This is a case of gross abuse of fundamental rights to dignity of human person, property and housing. The case involves the people of Badia east, Ijora and the state government)
- The State of Lagos vs. Babatunde Joshua.
- Commissioner of Police Vs. Ebuka Nwachukwu (this is a case of stealing that involved a minor. S4C was able to get the Defendant’s bail and eventually got the case struck out)
- Mr Christantus Okeke & Anor Vs. Ms Clementina Ogun & 5 Ors. (This is a case of medical negligence that resulted in the death of the Claimant’s eleven months old baby)
- Ovenseri Oronsaye Vs Jamiu Olanrewaju. (This is a case of alleged acquisition of land by the Federal Government)
- The State of Lagos Vs. Nwabueze Nwaloziri (This is a case of murder and S4C is holding watching brief for the complainant)
- Commissioner of police Vs. Godly Okako (this is a case of rape, poisoning, threat to life and sexual assault of a thirteen year old girl. S4C is holding watching brief for the complainant while her women and youth inclusion desk has volunteered to help the victim through her healing process.
- Commissioner of Police Vs. Sebastian Aguofor.
Our intervention on Police brutality deserves its own sub-headline:
- Petition against one Inspector Usman Mary in respect of Mr Boniface, Mr Boniface Chike (son) and Ms Nkechi Boniface (daughter). A case of unlawful arrest, intimidation and abuse of power).
- Petition against one Divisional Police Officer in respect of Mr Michael Ojo. This is a case of gross abuse of power, intimidation, unlawful seizure of properties and threat to life.
- Petition against one supol Abiola in respect of Mr Musbau Ishola Agbodemu. This is a case of gross abuse of power, unlawul arrest, torture and extortion. We petitioned before the National human Rights Commission and got judgment for the victim.
- Petition against one Sergeant Emmanuel in respect of Idowu Makanjuola. This is a case of unlawful arrest, threat to life, intimidation, extortion and breach of right to property. The matter was filed before the National Human Right Commission.
- Petition against one Inspector Ayodeji in respect of Peter Onyegbula. This is a case of torture and unlawful detention of the victim. S4C moved the Officer in Charge X Squard of the command headquarter to intervene in the matter.
- Petition against one Mohamed Musiliu Onisowo and some men of the federal SARS. This is a case of unlawful arrest, detention, torture and extortion. We filed this case before the Natonal Human Right Commission.
- Petition against one Alhaji Adebayo in respect of Mrs Aminat Olajumoke Adebayo. This is a case of abandonment and neglect of the victim and four children.
- Spaces for Change intervention prevented one Jerry Amah Douglas from being illegally arrested and detained.
- Spaces for Change is also helping one Mrs. Anifaloyin to process Letters of Administration in respect of the Estate of her son who died during a Boko Haram attack in …….